Parent Overview Year 1
Please find below Parent Overview regarding what children in Year 1 are learning this week.
Click the attachments at the bottom of the page for our 'Into Year Group' presentation and video.
|Curriculum area||We are learning to…|
· Children will practise blending and segmenting simple CVC and CVCC words. · They will use their skills to read real and nonsense words.
· Phonics focus sounds: Introduce: ey – Monkey up a chimney and recap: e – she has a secret, ie – believe and you’ll achieve, y – baby with a teddy.
· Children will continue to explore their focus text: The Highway Rat – Willow The Lion inside – Caterpillar Handa’s surprise – Lime Owl Babies – Clover
· Children will practise their number formation of numbers using our communication for all rhymes as support.
· Children will apply their phonics knowledge and skills to support them in their reading.
· This week we are learning about more real people that lived in Southwater. Including Mr and Mrs Grinsted and Bernard Holden. We will then create a Lap Book of facts about these historical figures.
· We will focus on including capital letters for names, people and places.
|Science||This week our focus in Science is Pondlife. We are going to do a virtual hunt for Pondlife and discuss the pondlife we might see at Southwater Infant Academy. We will then create another section to add to our guidebook, identifying various pondlife we may find.|
|Maths||This week the children will be continuing to explore place value to 100 and will explore money and telling the time. We will practice counting in 2s 5s and 10s using coins to help us become familiar with identifying these.|
|History||We will be continuing exploring Southwater’s past, sharing facts about real people who lived in the area and we will compare items that are old and new.|
|Art||This week we will be continuing with our self-portraits inspired by Frida Kahlo. Over the next few weeks we will be exploring different techniques to enhance our portraits, including creating a sketch of a ‘Victorian me’, explore using and mixing paints to paint our portrait and creating a mixed media collage of ourselves and the things that we like.|
|Any other information||Your child will be bringing home a letter formation sheet to practise at home. Please upload a photo on Tapestry.|
Please note this is a basic overview of the planning for this week. It is impossible to cover in this outline all the learning that takes place during a week! We also believe in listening to your children and responding to their interests and ideas therefore all our planning is flexible. Please note some of the learning will take place across more than one week and during some weeks the learning focus may not cover all curriculum areas.
Into Year group Video